středa 30. října 2013

2013 Czech Legislative Elections-Opinion Piece


Jenna Moller
Czech 2013 Elections
Alright. You caught me. I am an awful student and an even worse citizen. I know nothing about American politics, so naturally when I found out we were supposed to write an opinion piece about the 2013 Czech legislative elections, my mind went completely blank. That deer-in-the-headlights kind of thing. So, I went where any person trying to get informed would go: Google.
The 2013 Czech legislative elections were held on October 25 and 26. From the polls, the Social Democrats were in the lead, but they don’t even have enough votes to form a government. Uh, so what will they do now? Apparently, the Social Democrats must team up with another party to form a government (Could it be the Communists? Gasp!). There will be a lot of tough decisions to make in the upcoming weeks for the Czech Republic government, but I think they’ll be able to figure it out. Let’s just hope it doesn’t come to a screeching halt like our American government did back home. I mean, who shuts down the government? Really.
Oh, wait. This is an opinion piece, isn’t it? So that means I have to say what I think about this whole Czech election, huh? Sigh. Okay, well, I think they should all come to an agreement! But let’s take a second to talk about David Cerny’s huge floating purple middle finger statue, shall we? Now that’s interesting. Apparently Cerny directed the sculpture at President Milos Zeman, in response to the president’s support of the Social Democrats allowing the Communists to gain indirect power in the government, because of the Social Democrats whole, not-enough-votes-to-form-a-government thing.
So who’s to say what will happen? I really do hope a conclusion can be reached for the Czech Republic’s government. With enough cooperation and patience, I think it can be reached. In the meantime, pivo anyone?

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat